Thursday, June 6, 2019

On a Hen Ro ...LL

Hi there again, I'm updating a bit after the fact, but I'm coming at you with multiple days. Sadly I'm not 100% sure where I went on all these days given the amount of places and distance covered over this time. But I'll do my best.

Day 2

1.) Shokoku-ji: A zen temple attached to Doshisha University and a large temple complex




2.) Goou Jinja (shrine): A boar/pig shrine for legs, feet, and general walking.


3.) Unknown smaller temple:


4.) Ninnan-ji (temple): Lots of Dainichi (Vairocana), Kannon (Avalokiteshvara), Amida (Amitabha), and many more! Also a pagoda similar to the one in Toji.














Day Three

 1.) Kamigamo Jinja (shrine): A famous shrine dedicated to horse(s), and Irises. I've been here before, but wasn't sure so I made a return visit.








2.) Ota Jinja (shrine): A smaller shrine not far from Kamigamo and has a beautiful iris garden on display.



Day 4:

1.) Junen-ji: A temple with unique architecture and a few impressive statues in their garden.



2.) Ryuhon-ji: A beautiful big temple that's nearby several other complexes and the grave of Shima Sakon.





 3.) Amida-ji: A nice temple nearby Junenji from above.






Day 5

 1.) Seijuin (temple): I highly recommend this place. Enkoji and Eikando on the eastern side/philosopher's path are must visits and two of my favorie temples in Japan. But this one is small, secluded, and just off Gojo (fifth street) directly between Nijo castle and the Aquarium. They boast beautiful and personal Goshuin (temple stamp book). Albeit a tad on the expensive side starting at 1,000 yen and going as high as 10,000 or more. Mine is a "simple" calligraphy piece that evokes imagery of Amida. Normal prices range from 300 - 800 yen (if you include entrance fees, or it's a specialty one). The monk has you sit with him while doing the hand drawn picture. He kind, charming, and easy to talk with. I'd recommend going with someone who can speak Japanese though, not that you still couldn't get a beautiful piece done here without. The process is also a meditative, zen-like, experience and the personalized "stamp" is unique itself.




Approximate total time: 16 hours 49 minutes, and approximate total distance: 77 km


Climbing and climbing.
Blue, green, yellow, white I go.
The answer is me.

Incense and brush strokes.
The Western land calls to me.
Heavenly circles.

Horses neigh and trot.
Purple, white, green bloom in sight.
Deep on the mountain.

From stone to blue sky.
The roof calls under svaha.
Filling we, amen.

Ticking, walking, here.
Step over step, I am here.
And there, we are here.

Again I see them.
Statue in stone, but feeling.
Deep within my soul.

So peaceful and calm.
Rustling beads, and murmurs.
Meditation comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment