Friday, May 31, 2019

Junrei Henro One Day

In the morning light, I step out under the Eastern sun. The Amaterasu, somber and dutiful in my march on the artificial road laid out before me. Summer sweat glistening early and often, I am unsure of my feeling. 

Do I go North or do I go South, West or continue on this Eastern path. I am greeted by the power and might of the mountain. Here is my first stop, my first realization, I continue to the next stop and then another. Soon I am crossing the man made highway of concrete and asphalt greeted by a Queen, reaching another mountain. I arrive in the Pure Land of the Amida Nyorai.

Giving me shade from the heat, I make another mountaintop stop, then another. As the goddess begins her descent into slumber, I return. My final stop a small inconspicuous building offering the memory of local grounds. I say goodnight.

In honor of this process I wish to offer some haiku to honor the Master, given the nature of this venture and geographical location it seems fitting:

Dayrise, morning light.
Yellow and red streaming down.
I set out on foot.

Eastern mountain rise.
I arrive under maple.
Five points, and gardens.

Panoramic view.
Looking to the West awaits.
Walks again past time.

Finally arrived.
Sun falling down, pond side thoughts.
(Oh shit) Suzumebachi.


So here is the list of temples and shrines and I will do my best to recount the order in which I visited them:

1.)  Konpuku-ji: a cute little place going up the Ichijoji Hayama


2.) Hongwan-ji: has a cute preschool/kindergarten attached to it where I was asked by little children what I was doing, after being in shock there was a foreigner.


3.) Shoumyo-ji: This place has cute little buddha/monk statues (^-^)


4.) Hachidai-jinja (shrine): A shrine dedicated to martial arts, business, love, etc. It's key thing is the famous swordsman Musashi Miyamoto prayed here before a successful duel/battle.



5.) Enko-ji: Potentially my new favorite temple/garden area. It is powerful and gorgeous with a choir of frogs, and decent view of a Kyoto cityscape in the background.













6.) Genko-an: A temple on the Western side of Kyoto/Takagamine Momoyama area.












7.) Josho-ji: A scenic temple with a small pond, and a fierce Giant Sparrow Bee (Suzumebachi!!)


















So that's day one of this pilgrimage style journey. I felt great power in a temple garden, a statue of a monk/buddha that wanted to talk to me. It was around 20 km over 5 ish hours and two mountains. If only I could share the map from the google fit app...



No comments:

Post a Comment